Last item for navigation
How to Enroll

.Documents Required for School Admission

Any student entering the Montgomery Public School System, regardless of grade level, shall be required to submit the following:

  1. Parent/Guardian Photo ID ─ Valid Alabama drivers or non-driver’s license, or Military ID
  2. Student’s birth certificate- proof of age and verification of legal guardianship- if different from birth certificate
  3. A current State of Alabama Certificate of Immunization

    Mandatory Immunization Law- Each child enrolled in day care, Head Start, and public or private school in Alabama must have a valid Alabama Certificate of Immunization on file at the facility that they attend. The certificate may be obtained from the physician or clinic that administers the vaccine or may be completed by any county health department in the state if the parent presents a vaccine record from the provider. For students who are moving to Alabama, out of state vaccine records must be transferred to the Alabama Certificate of Immunization prior to enrollment in day care, Head Start, or school entry. This may be accomplished by taking a vaccine record from the provider to the local county health department, or if a physician in Alabama has been chosen by the family, the record may be transposed by the physician.

    The State of Alabama does not recognize philosophical, moral or ethical exemption from vaccination. A medical exemption may be used by a physician or an Alabama Certificate of Religious Exemption may be obtained from the local county health department. Attendees of day care and Head Start must be age-appropriately vaccinated against Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Haemophilus Influenza Type B, Polio, and Chickenpox.

  4. Two proofs of residence – At least two primary proofs of residency are required annually at registration and may be requested throughout the school year. All documents submitted as proof of residence must contain the parent or legal guardian’s physical address in order for the school to verify that the residence is in zone. ( No Post Office Box address will be accepted)


  1. Provision for Determining Residence of Students

    At the beginning of each school year and with each residence change, the school shall obtain from the parent/guardian at least two (2) proofs of residency as described below to demonstrate residency at the address given. The documentation should be kept as a part of the student record. Proof of residency may be requested again within 90 days of the start of school, the beginning of a new semester, and/or any time the principal deems necessary.

  2. Forms of Acceptable Proof of Residence

    Required- TWO documents that reflect a student’s physical residence – Must submit at least one primary proof


    Primary Proofs of Residence:

    1. Utility Bills or Deposit Receipts- for electric, gas or water service only. Must be current- within 30 days- for electric, gas, or water service- No disconnect notices allowed
    2. Mortgage Statement

      Monthly mortgage statement- must be current- within 30 days

    Secondary Proofs of Residence:

    1. Property Tax Records or Deeds- Tax Receipt, Property Deed (Please blacken out any personal financial information
    2. Income Tax Records- Correspondence from the IRS
    3. Correspondence from Social Security Office
    4. Correspondence from other U.S. government agencies- (Department of Human Resources, Food Stamp Office)
    5. Employment Records- Paycheck stub issued from employer showing physical address of employee within the last 30 days
  3. Parent/ Custody Issues

Due to the overwhelming number of custody issues involving students, all Montgomery Public School System employees will follow the procedure as outlined below relating to non-custodial parents access to student records and visitation. School system employees should not be placed in the position of reading and attempting to interpret divorce decrees to resolve custody issues. The student enrollment card, as completed by enrolling parent, should govern issues related to pick up, visitation etc. of students at school. The non-custodial parent has the right to receive copies of the child/children’s educational records including, but not limited to, a copy of report cards, unless such rights have been specifically revoked by a court order or other legally binding document. Any specific custody issue should be forwarded to Montgomery Public Schools’ board attorney along with a copy of the enrollment card and custody paperwork- for review and final interpretation. The primary purpose of our schools is to provide a safe learning environment for all students with our focus on instruction. The schools should not become the environment for parental custody disputes.